Storage and Packing Tips
Storing your Items the Right Way
- Boxes – Selecting the Right Size
- Tape – Having Plenty of It
- Markers – Black or Colored
- Plastic Wrap – How To Use It
- Bubble Wrap – What To Wrap
- Cedar Chips – Insect Repellant
- Blankets – For The Furniture
- Hangers – Go With The Wardrobe Boxes
- Zip Bags – For The Small Stuff
- Duct Tape – For The Glass
Preparing to Pack Tips
- Use a wide black or colored marker to label all boxes on all sides.
- Use duct tape to place an “X” in the center of mirrors and pictures.
- Pack pictures in bubble wrap or “picture pocket” plastic bags.
- Remove furniture legs when possible and place screws or hardware into the zip bags.
- Wrap unremoved furniture legs in bubble wrap.
- Scrub all appliances and place a small piece of tape on the door to prevent a tight close.
- Disassemble TV from their stands or wall hangers. Wrap in a thick blanket or bubble wrap and place in TV boxes.
- Place all stored clothes on hangers in wardrobe boxes and place cedar chips in the bottom.
- Be sure all linens, bedding and clothing are washer prior to storing and don’t forget to add the cedar chips.
- Wash all dishes and use “dish pack” packing boxes.
- Cover mattresses in plastic by using “mattress bags”.
- Tape all boxes with strong tape and don’t make boxes too heavy to lift.
- Break bed frames down to make them smaller items.
- Pack items within items, like small object in dresser drawers.
Packing Into The Unit Tips
- Purchase a cylinder lock for your unit.
- Don’t stack mattresses on ends or sides or place over other items that will bend it.
- Don’t stack appliances or heavy items on appliances since they could damage the appliance.
- Place larger items in the corners or back of the unit along with those expensive items.
- If the unit is largest enough leave an aisle down the center of the unit for easy access.
- Leave space on all walls for air and at the top for easy removal.
- Remove drawers from larger furniture during transit and replace once in the unit.
- Drain all fuel out of power tools before placing in storage.